Monday 19 April 2010

Streaker Ramblings 3 – Weston SC - 17th April 2010





A ‘local’ event for Bett and I this weekend, a mere 58 miles away, and it started off with bright sunshine, clear blue skies and just a zephyr of breeze. The meeting – a joint event with Supernovas, Lightnings and Streakers - was a late start, planned for 12 noon.
The Streaker event was proposed by Ian Morgan (sailmaker for Rooster sailing), a Weston club member, so I expected to have at least another Streaker to sail against and he said there were a couple of other Streakers at Weston. Just down the road there are a several other Streakers at Bosham and now one at Mengham Rythe, plus interest was shown by the Whitfields from Tamworth and Ian Bradley from Ouse.A.S.C , so I expected a goodly fleet.
As it turned out there were precisely two Streakers, myself and Gary Hogan from Haversham – he hails from Milton Keynes - Ian Morgan had decided to sail a Supernova!


A nice force 3 sea breeze eventually set in with a flat sea, the only waves created by the fast rescue boats and we sailed off for the starting area, to the north of the club up Southampton Water, for a trapezoidal course. First fleet away were the Supernovas (about 15 boats) and then the two Streakers with the Lightnings (six boats) following up in the rear. The plan was for three back to back races of approximately 45 minutes each – 3 or 4 laps.

In race one I was soon into the lead boat position, and pointing slightly higher than Gary, gradually began to pull away and hold my lead to the finish. The five minute start sequences ensured that there was no mixing of the fleets and the course size also helped maintain this situation for all three races.
For race 2 (and 3) the RO decided to start the Streakers and Lightnings at the same time. I got quite a good start and was soon in the lead of the mixed fleet whilst Gary got a bit stuffed at first. The breeze filled in a trifle higher for this race and I was able to plane for a few yards on the two reaching legs. Again I finished in front whilst Gary was stuck behind a pair of Lightnings.
In race 3 it was the previous race leading Lightning who was first off the line with myself close on his heels and it was not until the beat in lap two that I bested him and began to pull away and draw out into a goodly lead. Gary had to be satisfied with two Lightnings ahead of him at the finish.
At the ‘Prize giving’ I was obliged to appologise for the decided lack of support by the Streakers – for which I was truly embarrassed - but was assured that Weston would be willing to give us another event next year in spite of this poor attendance.

Results:-

1st. Alan Simmons (Lancing S C), 2nd Gary Hogan (Haversham).

Regretably I did not see Gary before I left for home and therefore take this opportunity to thank him for making the not inconsiderable effort to make it to Weston. To the rest of you, who indicated you might come, you missed an excellent/ideal set of racing conditions. I must blow my own trumpet by saying that I was sailing quite well for a change and would have welcomed far more competition. I just hope that the Nationals and then next Southern Paddle event will show a bit better support.
Alan.S 1700

No comments:

Post a Comment